I am not a fan of Gerber graduates puffs and other “first finger foods” that you find in the baby food aisle for a few reasons.
1) They don’t have a lot of nutritional value.
2) There are typically WAY too many ingredients.
3) They are overly processed.
4) They are expensive.
My kids have grown to love fruits and vegetables (for the most part). I can’t help but attribute that I try to give them as much real food as I can from a very young age.
Packaged snacks and finger foods are great for when you are on the go, traveling, or in the car. They generally don’t make a huge mess, and kids can pretty much feed themselves on their own with little intervention.
However, when we are eating at home, I try to keep a few healthy “finger food” items for my baby to eat in the house at all times. Just in case what I am making for dinner isn’t baby food friendly, she has something to eat with her hands.
Here is a list of my top 5 really convenient favorite finger food staples to keep in the house for the 7-10 month baby that is learning how to eat with his/her hands:
1) Frozen wild blueberries and petite peas from Trader Joe’s. These are so great because you don’t have to worry as much about your baby gagging on a really big blueberry. These are both the perfect size for little hands.
2) Shredded cheese or cheese cubes.
3) Cheerios. What kid doesn’t love Cheerios?
4) Frozen grapes. Put some red or green grapes in a freezer bag, lay flat in freezer until they are frozen (so they don’t freeze in clumps), cut them up in little pieces that are small enough for your baby to handle, and you’re done! My kids LOVE these chopped up into little pieces, especially when they were teething.
5) Frozen melon cubes. Use the same method as you did with the grapes. This time just cut the melon into small pieces, throw them in a freezer bag, lay flat in freezer, and they will be ready when you need them. You can serve these frozen, and they are great for when they are teething too!
The best part about these food is they ALL keep for a long time. You won’t ever be caught without finger foods in the house again!